Pages

Sunday 29 September 2013

Kinkakuji

Today we studied in the morning like the good students we are, but then I got bored so we went to Kinkakuji ~ That's the golden temple in the north west of the city, it's just up the road from my university. We ended up arriving at just about the perfect time to see the temple - it's covered in gold leaf so it looks really stunning when the sun's low in the sky and shining directly onto the sides.
 
It's a lot smaller than I imagined, but I quite like it. You just walk up a busy street, pay for your tickets in a courtyard, go through a gate and bam- there it is. I loved the way that once you're around that corner, all you can see are the mountains covered in trees, like you've gone deep into the forest rather than 3 minutes off a main road.


 

 
At the end of the walk through the temple's perfectly landscaped garden, there's a tea place where you can get some matcha green tea and a Japanese sweet for 500 yen. The tea was great ( but bitter!) and the sweet was really detailed.


 

This is the view from where we were sitting:

 
Everything was Kinkakuji-themed, even this phone box outside the entrance.


Now I've got to get ready for a whole week of classes... Anyone would think I'd come here to study...


No comments:

Post a Comment